Sustainability Summit 2023
For WDS Members & Potential Members
We are excited to announce our 2023 Summit
20-21 July 2023
at the University of Tennessee
Hear from funders and other scientific data repositories to gain knowledge and tools to achieve sustainability goals for long-term data preservation.
- Knowledge of the UNESCO Open Science Toolkit, particularly the section on Funding Open Science and other relevant materials.
- Understanding what a sustainability plan is, and why it is needed.
- Begin/finish worksheets to understand what data is left to uncover to complete your plan.
- Learn how to successfully describe and communicate your needs.
We are inviting you to East Tennessee
We are excited to invite you to East Tennessee, the home of the World Data System International Program Office.
The Sustainability Summit will take place at the University of Tennessee Student Union, 1502 Cumberland Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37916.
Registration is Free
Limited Number of Seats
Register soon to reserve yours
Use the Registration Link Below
WDS is using Glue Up for event management
20 July 8AM to 5PM Eastern
21 July 8AM to 1PM Eastern
What is a Sustainability Plan?
Peers Speaking to Peers on how they found Sustainability
Know you Funder
Funder’s Point of View
Communicating your Need
To set the stage, an opening session and keynote will be provided by:
- Dr. Suzie Allard, Principal Investigator of the WDS-IPO and Chancellor’s Professor and Associate Dean of Research for the UTK College of Communication and Information
- Dr. David Castle, Chair of the WDS Scientific Committee
- A recorded message from the International Science Council’s CEO, Dr. Salvatore Aricò
- Virtual keynote presentation from UNESCO’s Dr. Ana Peršić on the UNESCO Open Science Toolkit
A keynote speaker panel lunch with peers speaking to peers on finding sustainability for their repositories including:
- Giri Prakash, Director of ARM Data Center
- Dr. Pedro Luiz Pizzigatti Corrêa, Professor at the University of Sao Paulo
- Rebecca Koskela, Executive Director of RDA-US
- Mike Frame, Associate Program Coordinator at USGS
A keynote speaker panel from the funder’s point of view of financial sustainability of repositories featuring:
- Ishwar Chandramouliswaran, Technical Lead at National Institutes of Health
- Dr. Cerese Albers, Lead Program Executive, NASA
- Dr. Michael R. Nelson, Senior Fellow, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Dr. Michael Cooke, Senior Technical Advisor, US Department of Energy
- Dr. Martin Halbert, Science Advisor, National Science Foundation
Four lessons on sustainability planning, followed by hands-on breakout sessions for interactive learning and feedback
WDS has reserved rooms at The Graduate and Cumberland House Knoxville. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the reservation codes for the hotels. You will be responsible for making your reservation.
WDS has also reserved lower cost accommodations at University of Tennessee residence halls. You will need to provide your own linens and toiletries. Please email email@example.com to reserve a room through WDS at a residence hall.